The Next Path for Bao (Annual Roadmap BIP)

It has been nearly 1 year since Bao launched and this community has many accomplishments to be proud of.

As a bootstrapped decentralized community run DAO, Bao has been able to launch multiple products. This is something that not even many VC funded projects can say they did in a year.

We moved faster than others did but slower than we wanted.

We had many successful moments and also lots of learnings.

Now with it being almost the end of the year it is time to take those learnings into new proposals on moving Bao forward.

Reminder: Since Bao is a decentralized community project, all concept proposals are working concepts that get decided upon by the community and galaxy member volunteers. My job in leading the maintainer galaxy is to help propose roadmaps but none of these proposals are final and none have specifics of implementation yet.

Learnings:

• Redeemable coupon concepts are a bad idea and chew up time.

• Governance franchise models are good for testing new technology in an isolated way, but many users struggle to understand this concept.

• We had too aggressive of a farming distribution with BAO and the percent lockup was too high.

• No matter how many times you tell people to not do something (and to read docs) they will not do it. So if you want to prevent something or discourage it, it needs to happen in code.

• Good talent is hard to find. They don’t show up from high money offers but passion of the project.

• Launching on sidechains doesn’t seem to attract automatic liquidity like mainnet does too many sketchy partnerships and incentive deals are what is driving liquidity on those networks.

Things we did:

• Launched swap prototypes on xDAI with new farms.

• Created a secure 1:1 token swap for redeeming Baocx coupons.

• Launched a governance franchise on BSC with experimental governance models rewarding long term locking.

• Launched soft synths on Polygon including $nDEFI token.

• Created custom governance script to allow voting in locked and unlocked governance tokens.

• Avoided any rugs, hacks or exploits despite being unaudited and running 4 products on 4 chains.

• Built a model for decentralized volunteer teams to build a protocol in a flat model.

1) Proposing a shift in Bao’s goal:

Bao started with the goal of being a cross-chain ecosystem of token swaps, baskets/nests, and synthetic assets.

One thing we strongly learned is that it is not possible to do everything by ourselves and that’s how we started to build partnerships with projects like Sushi who already did things like provide strong liquidity on many chains.

I think that it may be good to shift the main objective goal of Bao from just trying to make these protocols simply for end users, to instead make these protocols for teams.

At the end of the day these systems are complex, so while Bao may have its own platform where anyone can create synthetics or nests, it is likely not easy for one person to do.

So Bao’s focus should likely be on building tools that allow any team to easily deploy their own synthetics and nests in a way that uses the Bao ecosystem.

2) Proposing changes to Governance and Reward Staking (veBAO)

At current our governance model is innovative but simple. It uses a score of Bao, locked Bao and Bao LP to get a governance score.

As we start to think about how to restructure governance, I wanted to make a proposal that staking rewards (tokens from the other protocols plus tokens the Bao platform generates from use) should be distributed in a way that is merged with a governance score.

There are also many new things we’d want to add to that governance score. So the proposal is to use a design similar to veCRV called veBAO.

veBAO is generated when you stake up the Bao token. The veBAO token is a non-transferable token, and the amount you earn will be based on a few factors:

• How many years you choose to lock in the stake.
  • How many locked Bao you have from farming.
  • A bonus % for being an original Bao user.
  • A bonus % for having voted in Bao governance in the first 6 months.
  • A bonus % for each of the collectible NFTs you hold (still to be issued).
  • A bonus % for each of the franchises you’ve used/have locked assets in.
  • The amount of Bao/ETH LP tokens you have.

Similar to our current voting contract, all this math would happen and give you a number of veBAO that you own (it is basically a point score of how much you use the Bao ecosystem)

This number would determine your governance voting power and the amount of staking rewards you earn.

3) Staking Rewards:

One thing we learned is that the model of governance franchises having a proportional share of the token locked in a vault for Bao holders is complicated and not obvious to the Bao holders but we needed a better way to distribute this rather than an airdrop, and not wanting to sell the tokens as they are a governance token.

For this we came up with the idea of staking rewards. Using your veBAO score, on mainnet you’ll be able to claim a share of each of the governance tokens and other rewards dripped out over time.

This way users can actually get their hands on these governance tokens to take part more directly in governance or use them on the platforms for their redeemable use cases like creating Nests.

4) Adjustments to Unlocking

When we designed the unlock curve we expected to have progressed a lot faster towards hard synths and did not have planned the veBAO and Staking Rewards.

Those two changes would mean that the faster locked Bao unlocks, it actually makes it dilute the governance and staking scores of locked Bao users faster than anyone else.

With more than 750M Bao set to unlock each day after the one year mark users would be quick to lock them as veBao for higher total scores than when they were locked the first time.

To prevent this and better flatten the dilution we should push back the lockToBlock by quite a lot.

This was something that did not seem a good idea at the time when locked Bao holders got no rewards and little governance participation. With the change of veBAO users would actually get a high rate of rewards for their locked Bao and so slowing the dilution is helpful to them as well.

Instead of having a fixed number of years for the unlock of locked Bao this proposal would set it to a high number to start (something like 50) and then adjust the number up or down on a recurring basis so that the dilution targets roughly 75% of the Bao that gets used that year in Bao products.

This way Bao is slowly deflationary as a governance token, but long term farmers still get rewards, combat inflation, and get staking rewards and governance bonuses that are not available to other users.

5) Ending Mainnet Farming of Current Pools

This would propose that we end the mainnet farming of the current pools as they continue to give out rewards to mostly empty pools who do not add much value to the ecosystem.

Instead we will work on setting up mainnet pools that will reward hard synths once those are ready, and the remaining Bao able to be farmed under the hard cap will be for those.

6) Last Primary Franchise

The governance franchise model has worked well for testing products that we needed to test without being risk to the main Bao ecosystem. But, they have been a bit confusing for users.

Moving forward the Bao community itself will not create new franchises, instead any new products would just incorporate the existing tokens (Bao on mainnet/L2s, Panda on BSC, Polly on Polygon)

But as we shift to making our tools be ones that other teams can use, we will still launch a governance franchise when in partnership with another team. Basically, they would use Bao tech to launch their project and its own token, but a certain amount of the token would have to go to veBAO stakers as a reward for this. We have one possible potential for this already that could be interesting.

This will help simplify things and now that we are done the tests of cross chain and soft synths, the focus is on having Bao be useful.

7) Prioritizing Hard Synths on either Mainnet or L2

We are getting close to having ready a pilot of hard synths and I am proposing focusing the community resources on getting this finalized and live before anything else in our ecosystem.

It may still be a few months before it is ready with a polished front end, but we have code in testing that allows for synthetics to be made and managed with multiple types of collateral.

Unlike the existing competitors who have a separate vault for each position, Bao has a way for you to use multiple collateral types in one vault.

Instead of using a simple collateralization factor like other protocols, the Bao synths calculate collateral value on a curve, where there is a base factor, but the more of a single asset you use the lower its collateral factor becomes.

This means the protocol auto balances liquidation risk if it gets too heavy in a single asset.

The plan would be to launch this on mainnet and L2s, it just unclear to start which launch would be first. We will need to monitor a number of factors.

After the hard synths are launched, we would then devote resources to ensuring the existing sidechain deployments get additional attention and upgrades.

Conclusion:

These are all just some proposals being worked on that I hope to include in voting as part of a large ‘annual roadmap’ BIP which would combine our year plan with some other governance clean-up tasks.

The inner details need to be worked out but given all the things we’ve learned and achieved this year, I think this roadmap could set the Bao community up really well for having the full vision of our useful decentralized products even before the new year starts.

Let me hear any feedback you have or things you think we should include in an annual roadmap BIP.

Edit:

1. Migrate Bao to new version

The Bao token max cap has too many tokens to work with the detailed math of the current veBAO contract model.

In order to adjust for this we would need to migrate to a new token contract for BAO that would perform a unit split at ratio of 10:1.

Users would have the same percentage amount of total Bao but the units would be smaller.

This may not be required as we could make changes to veBao’s contract instead but it would be ideal.

1. Begin to implement Governor Alpha

This would implement Compounds Governor Alpha and begin to give it control over the various ecosystem contracts one by one.

This would allow for onchain proposals and voting to be directed by any user who reaches a voting threshold.

This is the next major decentralization step in the long term goal of dissolving any official team and having all aspects run by the community through self-organized galaxies.

10 Likes

Lots if things to discuss here but I would like to say I think the dynamic range unlocking is definitely a good idea. It incentivizes long-term growth and involvement, which hopefully leads to a much stronger ecosystem. If this does not happen there will inevitably be a massive bao dump come December and January which will push people away even if the project is moving foreword at a healthy pace.

9 Likes

I am somewhat of an amateur in my understanding of the complexity of the entire project so take my comments with a grain of salt but maybe this will help others that are on the same level I am.

My initial feeling is that some of the veBAO factors aren’t really fair or adding value because someone started or knew about Bao earlier.

• A bonus % for being an original Bao user.
  • A bonus % for having voted in Bao governance in the first 6 months.

I prefer the simpler way it’s calculated now but that’s just my preference.

The adjustments to the unlocking seem to be dependent on the proposed changes in the governance and reward staking of veBAO. Is it safe to assume that most of the people that will be receiving the locked Bao as in unlocks are the same people staking it? How does that dilute their governance?

Pushing out the unlocking period to 50 years doesn’t sound appealing. I hope there is some other solution proposed that doesn’t extend the unlocking period.

I have spent considerable funds on transaction costs, impermanent loss and devaluation of the Bao token from when I purchased it with the expectation that the mainnet pools would recover this over time. Especially after holding through this period of the low multiple. I am not keen on the Mainnet pools being ended just as the multiple is about to increase.

As someone with numerous Mainnet pools set up I don’t really understand how to take part in hard synth pools once they are set up with the tokens and coins I already own.

1 Like

Overall I feel that alot of these new direction ideas would overall be extremely healthy for the BAO ecosystem, the unlock change would soothe my fear I’ve had for quite along time that the current unlock scheme is far too aggressive and would lead to BAO just being drained. With this we could expect the price and new liquidity entering frequently as long as we can make sure synthetics countinue to work for us, on that note how do we make the synthetics from other teams bring use to BAO? Do we make them host with BAO coins or run through our sites?

4 Likes

I enjoy the idea of being rewarded for sticking around and contributing to the project longer

6 Likes

I would like to point out also that The dynamic range unlocking proposed year isn’t a new concept and it has been discussed this year. There are a lot of valuable comments for anyone to read here Dynamic Range Unlocking

6 Likes

I’m not totally against the Dynamic Range Unlocking as it would be interesting to see the amount of BAO being burned in real time, if there is a prospect of it increasing the unlock time that could be seen as a positive. There should IMHO be a way to drastically reduce the supply permanently over time to support a higher token value.

I haven’t sold any BAO nor am I in a rush to sell any BAO after the unlocking starts and I’m happy to support the project. That’s why I’d like to learn how to take part in the synth pools when they are set up if I can with what I already hold. I think there is an assumption that when the unlocking starts that has to mean dumping of the tokens and the price crashing. The price and market cap are already quite low. If the project is progressing I think many people would continue to hold. People that want to leave will leave and those that see value in the project will buy. Letting the free market run its course isn’t necessarily a bad idea.

1 Like

I think we will realize more gains if we introduce new products that burn bao and increase the amount of time for unlock, sometimes people cant be trusted to make the best decisions. And if suddenly with the rapid unlocking over the course of three years drains what liquidity we have people will barely have any interested regardless of how well the products perform.

3 Likes

I genuinely hope that we follow your thought process, as I’ve had the same concerns about diluting of the bao I currently hold. There will be a massive exodus and dilution that I’m afraid will be too hard to overcome.

3 Likes

This is a lot to digest and will require many re-reads to absorb what is being presented.
I already have a few thoughts/questions, but will wait until i can give this a more thorough read.

My only immediate suggestion is to expand the amount of time that we have to discuss (eg. Double the usual time) before a vote is held…I dont think this is time sensitive, so expanding this time to discuss should not be an issue.

3 Likes

This is separate from whether these things are a good idea or not.

It’s hard to know how to take part in synth pools when they aren’t live and finalized yet, but just like with all Bao products the community will put plenty of time into making sure there are tutorials so people can participate.

2 Likes

Well it is a tad time sensitive, we only have 3 more months until unlock.

1 Like

I was late.
Yesterday I wrote a few thoughts and here I can see Baoman proposed some groundbreaking ideas that are close to me and which I support.

Still, he would share with them.
Sorry for the language.

A few thoughts.
Our BAO token should be the center of our financial galaxy.
The most wanted resource in our universe.
Having a BAO and striving to increase its multiplication plus factors such as the time it is kept in the wallet or the time it is acquired by the pools should bring greater profit for dedicated participants of the project.

What if in the future, faithful BAO holders would receive a greater percentage of all products that will be made. This could depend on the number of bao tokens and the time of active cultivation.
Three elements of value
QUANTITY
HODL
CULTIVATION
It is worth adding to this by burning tokens.
I wonder how the idea of ​​having bao, in exchange for a greater percentage of the crop, would burn some of its bao tokens, would work in practice.
Another idea is airdrops for owners as part of our new resources.
This is just a small outline of a few spontaneous, probably crazy ideas, so please be understanding.
I dream that in the future our token will become a kind of melange, or “the spice,” as in Dune.
There are many paths of development ahead of us. I trust that our wonderful community will choose the best possible one in its evolutionary cycle.

2 Likes

On another note I’d like to put in perspective, on the day of unlock there will be 40 billion BAO in circulation, then 750 million each day being unlocked almost a billion every single day for three years. The dilution will be far to much for any realistic mechanism to be implemented to counteract it the price of BAO will crumble to ash.

3 Likes

50 years is too long. 20 years, which is approximately one generation, seems more rational.

1 Like

I think you are missing the point the goal here isn’t to pick a specific year, it is to adjust the year high to start and then let that number auto adjust so that the release is roughly 75% of the amount of Bao burned that year.

The specifics of that number is not relevant. It is just the way we would deal with it since we cannot rewrite the contract to include an equation.

5 Likes

So how often would the burn amount be checked for unlock?

1 Like

Agreed. This is all tied up in speed of progression, and the bottom line (as has been repeated by the team), is that things take time. So lock the tokens up for a longer period, because as of today they’re simply “coupons for a future use”. And my experience with the franchises says that if there’s a token in my hands today, I might as well sell it and buy it cheaper later. Finished products (and products burning bao) will change that completely.

3 Likes

This is something that would still need to be decided, we could probably make a governor contract for this which would allow anyone to call an update() command that would automatically check the amount burned in the last 24 hours and update accordingly.

Things that update on a recurring basis get gamified and frontrun. If you put a person responsible for it, they only update when right for them.

If we make it a contract anyone can call but that only updates on set schedule limit then lots of parties have incentives to make the call so it could be fairly regular.

Other option is to make it specifically not regular and take a long time so it looks at an average.

The community will likely need to run scenarios to decide the best options.

3 Likes

Is there a time frame in mind on when something of this nature would come to a vote? Like previously, mentioned with 3 months being the start of releasing locked bao, how quick would decisions need to be made in order to delay?

2 Likes